Opening Receptions are
from 5:30-8:30 pm,
unless otherwise noted.
George Hardcastle & Sons, Inc.,
the art supply and frame shop, was established in Wilmington, Delaware in
1888. In 1946, ownership was assumed by
Bayard Taylor Berndt, a well-known local artist, and his brother-in-law
Ray Coakley. Berndt invited local painters to display their works in his
Shipley Street store, establishing Delaware's first art gallery. Berndt,
who was a daily presence at Hardcastles until 1980, had a great influence on
the growing Wilmington art community.
Now located in Centreville about five
miles north of downtown Wilmington, Hardcastle Gallery remains a haven for
artists who follow the "Brandywine School" of painting originated
by renowned artist Howard Pyle. Today, many artists, including W. James McGlynn
and C. Phillip Wikoff, fondly remember Berndt for his encouragement of established
and budding artists. His son David, who worked and learned with him for 14 years
before assuming ownership of the gallery, was instilled with his fathers philosophy
of supporting the local art community.
And so the tradition continues...